I've been excited about getting back to this and starting over from scratch but it is hard to describe the emotion that comes with wanting to do something for a year and then finally doing it. Not exactly a let down but a sort of letting go. As it happens it is the perfect project for the end of the first year at NBSS. It is essentially another toolbox with just a few changes and on a larger scale to make it a functional piece of furniture. There are not many people renting space at the school this summer and it's been a lot of fun to just work all day, every day.
The design is taken almost exactly from Making Authentic Shaker Furniture. The only changes I've made are to the layout of the drawers, the addition of a chamfer on the underside of the top and an open top to the carcase, which may or may not be a change. The "measured drawings" don't go into much detail. It's a new construction technique for me and I just didn't like the idea of screwing two solid pieces of wood together; it seems like a bit of a waste although the open construction definitely takes longer. When it comes time to finish I'll say more about my paint plans. As with all my projects since starting at NBSS I've used only Old Brown Glue.
So far there are 50 hand cut dovetails plus 12 more in the horizontal and vertical dividers. At least 75 more to come in the drawers. If you trimmed all the fat it's been about 85-90 hours.
Here are some shots of the build so far.*
Thank you for stopping by!
*To those whose eyebrows go up when they see the picture of laying out the vertical dividers: I'm doing things out of order. I got a bit ahead of myself on the day I fit the horizontal dividers and just glued them in at the end of the day. Walking the dog that night I realized that I definitely should have fit and glued the vertical dividers in first. As it turns out I think I prefer doing in the way that I did, but only because the drawers are wide enough that I was still able to use my router plane.